Millions of South Africans will receive their October SASSA grants within the next 72 hours – but some recipients face a longer, more uncertain wait. The monthly payments provide a crucial lifeline for those in desperate need of financial assistance, and there are some crucial things beneficiaries need to note this week.
R350 grants, SASSA payment dates, and all the rest
The introduction of the R350 grant has vastly increased the number of people who are eligible for state support. Initially introduced as a COVID-19 ‘relief of distress’ fund, the SRD payments have remained hugely popular.
The R350 grant will last until March 2022, and it’s believed that the ANC government will look to extend its legacy further. A Basic Income Grant is being proposed for the poorest South Africans, but funding this project will cost tens of billions of rand each year. Traditional grants, meanwhile, will remain free and easy to access for the foreseeable future.
October SASSA grants: Official payment dates for this month
With the October SASSA payments starting from tomorrow, we’ve put together a list of six things all recipients need to know heading into a new month – including information on payments dates, availability, and R350 grants.
- The first cohort to get their money will be those receiving ‘Older Persons Grants’, from Tuesday 5 October.
- Then, recipients of the ‘Disability Grant’ can collect their payments from Wednesday 6 October.
- All other grants, such as Child Maintenance, will be paid out from Thursday 7 October. However, the R350 grant IS NOT made available on any of these aforementioned dates.
- It’s also worth noting that there is no specific day for R350 grant – and 8 October is the *earliest possiblepayment date.
- Fun fact: If you receive more than one SASSA grant, ALL will be paid on the day your first one is scheduled to go online.
- You don’t need to collect your payments on the day they are made available – you can get them any time.
The payment schedule can be viewed here, too:
— SASSA (@OfficialSASSA) September 29, 2021